- 2011 Ph.D. (Magna Cum Laude), Religion and Society, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 2005 M.Div., Princeton Theological Seminary
- 2002 B.A. (Communication Arts & Sciences, Philosophy, and Religion) Calvin College
GRADUATE AND UNDERGRADUATE TEACHING APPOINTMENTS
- 2011-Present Drew University Theological School, Assistant Professor of Afro-Latino/a Religions and Cultural Studies.
- 2010-11 Mercer County Community College.
- Fall 2010 The College of New Jersey, Adjunct Professor in African American Studies, “African and African Diaspora Religions,” (Honors Undergraduate).
- Spring 2010 Princeton University: Lecturer in Sociology, “Latinos in American Public Life,” (undergraduate level).
- Fall 2008 Princeton University: Lecturer in African-American Studies, “Introduction to African-American Studies,” (undergraduate level).
- Spring 2007 Princeton Theological Seminary: Teaching Fellow, “Cultural Hermeneutics,” (graduate level).
VISITING FACULTY POSITIONS
- Summer 2013 Vanderbilt Divinity School
- Summer 2012 New Brunswick Theological Seminary
AREAS OF TEACHING COMPETENCE
- Primary: Cultural Sociology, Sociology of Religion, Religious Ethics, Social Movements, Critical Theory, Africana Studies, and Latino/a Cultural Studies.
- Secondary: Science and Religion, Latin American/ Latino/a Philosophy, Decolonial/Post-Colonial Studies, Liberation Theologies.
- 2017 “An Africana Reading of Complexity,” In Entangled Words. Catherine Keller and Mary-Jane Rubenstein (eds.), Fordham University Press, (Forthcoming).
- 2016 “The Young Lords Party and The People’s Church: Social Movement Theology and the Telling Of Brown Power Movements Impact on Latino/a Religious History,” Perspectivas Journal. (Accepted for Publication).
- 2016 “The Haunting of Neo-Lynching Spectacles: Affect and the Survival of Black Bodies,” in Anti-Black Racism and Christian Ethics. Orbis Press. (Forthcoming).
- 2016 “Interfacing with Flesh: A Dialogue with Mayra Rivera’s Poetics of the Flesh in Times of Neo-Lynching,” Syndicate Theology, http://syndicate.network/symposia/theology/poetics-of-the-flesh/ (Forthcoming)
- 2016 “Eucharistic Celebrations: Interdisciplinary Reflections on Faith and Science,” Philosophy and Theology Journal. (Accepted for Publication)
- 2016 “The Defiance of an Honest Faith. A Review of Robin Meyers, Spiritual Defiance: Building a Beloved Community of Resistance” in Homiletics. Vol 41, No 1 (2016)- Special Issue- Black Homiletics and Economics.
- 2016 Review of Poetics of the Flesh by Mayra Rivera, in Newsletter on Hispanic/Latino Issues in Philosophy. Vol.15, No.2 (Spring 2016)
- 2016 “Traditioning the Hope of Lo Cotidiano: A Commentary on Orlando Espin’s Idol and Grace,” Syndicate Theology, June 2016. https://syndicatetheology.com/ commentary/traditioning-hope-lo-cotidiano/
- 2015 “Theologizing the Future into the Present as a Radical Alternative,” Twelfth Newsletter of the Center of Liberation Theologies, October 2015.
- 2015 “Democratic Futures In the Shadow of Mass-Incarceration: Towards a Political Theology of Prison Abolition,” Catherine Keller, Melanie Johnson-Debaufre, and Elias Ortega-Aponte (eds.), Common Goods: Economy, Ecology, Political Theology, Fordham University Press, September, 2015.
- 2015 “Children’s Picture Books: Visualizing Gender and Race,” in ARTS: The Arts in Religious and Theological Studies, 26.(2) 2015.
- 2014 With Laurel Kearns and James Spickard “In Memoriam: Otto Maduro (1945-2013) Journal of the American Academy of Religion, March 2014, Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 22–29.
- 2009 Review of Arendt, Augustine, and the New Beginning: The Action Theory and Moral Thought of Hannah Arendt in the Light of Her Dissertation on St. Augustine, by Stephan Kampowski, Koinonia (Volume XXI, 2009).
- 2009 “Mulatez,” “Hip-Hop,” “Young Lords/Young Lords Party,” “Epistemology,” Hispanic American Religious Culture, Encyclopedia 2 vols. ed. Miguel De La Torre (ABC-CLIO Publishers, 2009).
BLOG POSTS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
- Sep. 2015 “Are Our Sacred Spaces Safe for People of Color” for Sacred Conversation For Sacred Justice, September 6, 2015 Issue of The Living Church Magazine.
- Nov. 2014 “The Verdict on White Justice for Black Lives,” Public in the Blog of Feminist Studies in Religion. Nov.26, 2014 http://www.fsrinc.org/blog/verdict-white-justice-black-life.
- Nov. 2014 ”Teaching In Times of Ferguson: A Personal Reflection on Social Justice Pedagogy in a Theological School ” Race Matters in the Class Room, Wabash Center http://wabashcenter.typepad.com/antiracism_pedagogy/2014/11/teaching-in-times-of-ferguson-a-personal-reflection-on-social-justice-pedagogy-in-a-theological-scho.html
- Nov. 2012 “Presidential Election Time: Disenfranchising the Margins in a Democratic Moment,” Postcolonial Networks. Nov. 2012. http://postcolonialnetworks.com/presidential-e lection-time-disenfranchising-margins-democratic-moment/
- Nov. 2017 “Abolitionist Hope and Unitarian Universalist Theological Futures,” UU Collegium, at the American Academy of Religion, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Nov. 2017 “Biblical Interpretation and Activism,” Society of Biblical Literatures, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Oct. 2017 “Abolitionist Hope: Ecological Racism and Mass Incarceration,” Williams College, Massachusetts.
- Nov. 2016 “Criminalizing Latino Masculinities,” at American Academy of Religion, San Antonio, TX.
- June 2016 “Neonatal Palliative Care and Cultural Competence,” The Human Journey: Lessons in Neonatal Palliative Care, at Atlantic Health, Morristown Medical Center, Morristown, NJ.
- Mar. 2016 Respondent to the sessions of Religion and Leadership Session at Regional AAR, New Brunswick, NJ
- Feb. 2016 “Life of the Mind: Intellectual Work and Worship Life,” Koinonia Forum, Princeton Theological Seminary, NJ
- Feb. 2016 “The Prophetic Act of Living into Theological Questions,” Spring Matriculation Address, Drew University Theological School, Madison, NJ.
- Nov. 2015 “Afro-Latino Masculinity and Performance,” and “Interfacing with Flesh: An Engagement with Mayra Rivera’s Poetics of the Flesh.” American Academy of Religion, Atlanta, GA
- June 2015 “It’s Gonna Get Serious: High-Stakes Conversations as Pedagogical Opportunities,” and “Let’s Type About It: Creating Online Cohorts,” in Pedagogical Possibilities: New Paradigms in Teaching for Ministry at Vanderbilt Divinity School, Nashville, TN
- Apr. 2015 “Intersecting Realities of Race and Gender in Theological Education” Koinonia Forum, Princeton Theological Seminary, NJ
- Mar. 2015 ”Black Rebelliousness: Police Brutality, Riots and the Quest for Justice.” Public Lecture; Senior Seminar Presentation, “Political Theology and the Color of Law.” at Lebanon Valley College, PA
- Mar. 2015 “Afro-Latin@s Theologies and Theological Engagements,” Princeton Theological Seminary, NJ
- Jan. 2015 ”Neuroethics, Law, and Religious Ethics,” Society of Christian Ethics, Chicago, IL
- July 2014 “Difficult Conversations in the Class Room,” Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion, Crawfordsville, IN Pre-tenure Workshop
- July 2014 “Blackness in Latin America and the Spanish Caribbean,” Drew University, La Casa Annual Conference
- Nov. 2013 ”Azucar Negra: Latin American Liberation Theology and the Invisibility of Afro- descendientes,” American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting, Baltimore, M
- Nov. 2013 ”Vejigante Masks, Bomba Rythms, and Isleño Flow: Puerto Rican Afro-Diasporic Aesthetics,” Society of Biblical Literatures Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD
- Jun. 2013 ”Critical Praxis and Engage Intellectuals: An Africana Perspective,” Roundtable Panel on Public Intellectuals, Thinking Publicly: A Conference on Public Intellectuals, Drew University, Madison, NJ
- May 2013 “The Young Lords and the Peoples Church: Civil Engagement as a form of Spirituality,” DePaul University Center for Interreligious Engagement, Chicago, IL
- Jan. 2012 “Lo Cotidiano of Doing Time: A Sociological Engagement with Isasi-Díaz’s Theo- Ethics in the Shadows of the Prison Industrial Complex” Society of Christian Ethics Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL
- Nov. 2012 “Afro-Latinos/as’ Quest for Social Justice: Comment on the Intersection between Religious Ethics and the Social Sciences” American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL
- May 2011 “Empathy, Neuroethics, and Religious Morality,” Inaugural International Conference on Education Ethics, at Duquesne University
- Apr. 2012 “Religious Responses to Mass-Incarceration: An Economic Justice Perspective,” Drew Theological Seminary, Webinar
- Feb. 2012 “Empathy and Religions Morality: Cultural Neuroscience Perspective,” Faculty Seminar, Drew University, NJ
- Jan. 2012 “Attica’s Long Shadow: Coalitional Politics Against Global Lockdown!” Opening lecture for African Heritage Month at Drew University
- Dec. 2011 “Converging Paths: Ideology, History, and the Recovery of Afro-Latino/a Identity in the Young Lords, New York,” and “Mayra Santos-Febres and the Performance of Blackness,” at the Afro-Latin America: Rethinking, Identity, Politics & Culture 27th Annual Symposium on African American Culture and Philosophy Purdue University-West Lafayette, IN
- Oct. 2011 Herencia Lecture: “Nuestra Negritud: Exploring the Complexities of Race and Gender in the Latina/o Theological Context,” Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, NJ
- Feb. 2011 “Afro-Latino/a Moral Subjectivity: Transnationalism, Barrio Politics, And a Christian Ethics of Dissent,” Lecture to Drew University Theological School
- Nov. 2011 “Latino/a Religions in the United States: An Afro-Latino/a Perspective,” Lecture to Princeton University’s Gateway Course “Latinos in American Public Life” Princeton, NJ
- Nov. 2011 “Afro-Latino/a Reading of Agamben: Biopolitics, Race, Political Space, and Social Mobility,” and “Neuroethics, Affectivity, and Divine Command Theory,” American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA
- Mar. 2010 “Ethical-Moral Thinking in Santería/Lukumí: Mythology, Individual, and Community.” American Academy of Religion Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting, New Brunswick, NJ
- Mar. 2010 “Imaginative Horizons: Habermas and the Possibility of Theology,” American Academy of Religion Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting, New Brunswick, NJ
- Nov. 2008 “Afro-Latino Radicalism: Towards a Religious Humanism of Resistance,” Drew University Theological Transdisciplinary Colloquium, Madison, NJ
- Nov. 2008 “Imago Dei, the Young Lords, and the Struggle for Healthcare for Latinos/as,” American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL
- Mar. 2008 “God’s Emotional Commands and Their Rational Tale? Finding a Place between Reason and Emotions: Divine Command Theory and Neuroscience,” American Academy of Religion Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting, New Brunswick, NJ
- Mar. 2007 “The Path to Citizenship is White: The Whitening of Puerto Ricans 1898-1917,” Stony Brook Manhattan Graduate Conference, New York, NY
- Oct. 2016 Faculty Panel with Jim Wallis on “America’s Original Sin,” Drew Theological School, Madison, NJ
- June 2016 “Unitarian Universalist Legislative Ministry of New Jersey: Dismantling Racism,” Presentation at the Unitarian Universalist General Assembly. Columbus, OH
- Sep. 2015 “Foodways, Black Theology, and Community,” Discussion with Derek Hicks, Drew University, Madison, NJ
- May 2015 Moderate Panel with Robert Wright at Morris Museum. Morristown, NJ
- April. 2015 “Mass-Incarceration, The Quest for Justice, and The 6th Principle,” Sermon Delivered at Ridgewood Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Ridgewood, NJ
- Jan. 2015 “Mass-Incarceration, The Quest for Justice, and The 6th Principle,” Morristown Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Morristown, NJ
- Dec. 2014 “Packing for the Journey,” Sermon Delivered at Morristown Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Morristown, NJ
- Sept. 2014 “Cultural Competence and Sensitivity: A Life-Long Learning,” Drew University
- Nov. 2014 “Violent Prevention,” Newark Tech High School, Feature Speaker Violence Prevention Week., Newark, NJ
- May 2013 “Cultural Competence/Sensitivity as a Life-Long Learning Engagement,” ASCE Annual Conference Workshop: Indiana, IN
- Mar. 2013 “Cultural and Spiritual Dimensions of End-of-Life Ethics,” Series of three seminars for Ombudsman, NJ